Thursday, August 8, 2013

Outa-Sync


When I became a new mommy I had to figure out a new way of living. I may have been the same age as all of my friends but my life was totally different from their lives and some didn't understand that.  I couldn't go out at 1:00 in the morning and sit at ihop. I had a child now and responsibilities, and my life wasn't just my own anymore. My life was about raising another life.

There was some growing time until I found my stride of being a young mommy and soon some of my freinds were having children of their own so we were all first time mom's together; but now that my daughter is getting older i'm entering new territory.

"Senior" mom territory.

Earlier this summer I signed my daughter up for a 4 wk. summer ballet class. I was a little aprehensive at first since she has only ever been home with me and has never gone even to pre-school. After much searching I found a dance studios that was a right fit for us. This studio had a super friendly staff and a family-friendly atmosphere. My daughter LOVED her summer classes. It was a small class with only 4 girls ages 3-4 so it was a good transition for her and the mom's were very friendly and everyone enjoyed watching their children, and cheering for them after they finished.

(i'm getting to my point I promise ;) just hang in there!)

so I decided to re-enroll her in the fall class. This was a bigger class, 9 girls in total, but my daughter took it with just as much joy as the summer classes, she had a fabulous time.

I on the other hand was the new duck in the pond and wasn't sure which way to paddle.

 I stood in the parenting room watching the girls through the glass and most of the parents weren't very interested in watching their daughter's dance.  While I was smooshed up against the two-way mirror snapping photos and video, they were sitting against the walls chatting about their children that have already gone off to college and how they all have atleast 2  or more children at home and some in highschool.

That's when I realized that not only am I the youngest parent in the room but I'm the only parent with 1 child.

All of these parents were "senior" moms or dads, and im a freshmen. They have already accomplished the potty training, loose tooth, riding a bike, driver's ed. phases of parenting life and i'm still on potty training. I suddenly found myself in this weird middle ground of not being a "New" mom but not being an "old mom" either.

Thats probably why I was the only one at the window gawking at my daughter's every step. This is my only daughter. Everyone else has 2, 3, 4 or some even 5 children. So I wonder... when you have  more children you have does the enthusiasm to see all of their "firsts" start to fade? I was one of 6 children but my mother was fawned over each one of us when we would do something new. So this non-chalant attitude seems so odd to me.



When the class was over and all the girls filed back into the room and I start clapping and cheering "you guys did a great job!"....but I was the only one and my clapping soon faded.My daughter looked confused why nobody cheered, all of the parents in the summer classes gave all of the children a round of applause after each, and those little girl's faces just lit up. I hoped that she didn't think that everyone didn't cheer because she didn't do a good job--I don't know if 3 year olds think that way or not but at that point I made a clear decision.

 I will assume the role of the over-cheerful mom.
I will tell the girls they did awesome and clap my little heart out everytime.
Cuz ya know what? Those beautiful little girls deserve it.

I feel like i'm taking a new turn on the road of mommy-hood.

So yes i'm the only mom in her 20's, the only mom with only one child,  and maybe i'll be the only mom cheering, but confidence shouldn't come from fitting in or feeling comfortable but my confidence comes from my faith in Christ--So  i'm gonna keep cheering!

 Being the 'only one' doesn't mean your an outsider... it makes you special ;)


"For the LORD will be your confidence, And will keep your foot from being caught."
Proverbs 3:26 (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment